Monday, February 10, 2014

Bookmarking

To try out Diigo:

Initially I installed the Diigo bookmarklet on my Google Chrome browser to explore its various functions happily, tagging, highlighting, uploading images, etc.  Then I realize that there are more features available on the Diigo toolbar.  But when I tried to install the toolbar, a warning message popped up saying:

Confirm New Extension
Add "Diigo Web Collector - Capture and Annotate"?
It can
. access your data on all websites
. access your tabs and browsing activity

I was alarmed !! Does the Diigo bookmarklet i installed the previous week act similarly? We have been using our Google Chrome browser for e-banking and online payments. Have our personal data been accessed by Diigo in the past week? 

In dismay, I had to delete the Diigolet and try out Diigo in Firefox. After downloading the Diigo toolbar, the shortcuts on the toolbar failed to appear, not even after I tried to add it in again by editing the toolbar in the browser. Waste of time …

So I had to take the risk, install it again in Google Chrome for further exploration ...

Other than the privacy issue, Diigo is a wonderful tool for research, sharing, and collaboration. I can bookmark blogs and websites, annotate the text online and save it, or cache the webpage for reading later, add tags and share the resource with others through Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or email, together with my highlights and annotations. As my library grow, Diigo lets me find a document easily by searching in title, URL, annotations and tags.

Moreover, I can search and acquire useful information and updates from experts and colleagues I’d like to follow by constructing my favourite network; or by browsing the bookmarks of others on the Diigo community. Besides, I can create groups for our library colleagues or even students on a collaborative project, building our shared information repository.

Downside:
I cannot highlight the online PDF files.
I cannot import the bookmarks on my browsers.
It is not as popular as del.ico.us: I cannot directly export records from our library’s discovery tool Primo to Diigo. 
And as i tried to use the explore Diigo group, i couldn't find relevant groups that i'd like to join.


No comments:

Post a Comment